Monday, February 25, 2008

Another trip to the Chinese hospital

I was actually very happy with my first trip to the Chinese hospital. The doctor there seemed caring and competent. She knew about my situation, knew what test needed to be done and gave me good advice. I really would feel comfortable if she were my OG/GYN. I wouldn’t want to deliver at that facility, but I would trust her as my doctor. However, the next time we went there, we saw a different doctor. The way the place works is that you stand in a line to see the doctor on duty at the time. There is no personal doctor that oversees your case. Well, this doctor was the complete opposite. She was unconcerned and very much incompetent. She ordered the wrong test for me. Then when we got the right test, she saw the results and said “mei wenti” (no problem). I knew she was wrong at the time. Everything was sent to my Hong Kong doctor who was very concerned of course. I guess that just highlights the problem with the Chinese hospital. I see it as something like the teaching profession in America. It draws a lot of really intelligent and dynamic people who are passionate about teaching and don’t care that the salary is low. On the other hand, the freedom involved in teaching (very little oversight) and some of the benefits (summers off) also draws a lot of lazy people looking to collect a paycheck with as little effort as possible.

No comments: