Monday, February 25, 2008

Michaela goes to school

Entering the school -- you can't see it in this picture, but it is shaped like a castle.

Warm welcome and greetings from the principal.


Michaela went to her first day of school. I felt she was too young, but she really wanted to go and David really wanted her to go. I also knew that living here in Longgang was really boring for her and the only way for her to make friends is to go to some sort of school. The only problem is that there is only one option here – preschool. They are pretty much all the same. Kids start at two and a half. Almost all Chinese kids go to school at this age. The day starts at 8:00 am and ends at 5:30. They eat breakfast and lunch at school. Some kids go home for lunch and rest hour which is 12:00-2:00. I am not crazy enough to agree that my not-yet-three-year-old daughter go to school for the entire day. The only other option is to not even a regular choice, but something we requested – a half day. She goes from 8:00-11:45 which I still think is a really long time for someone of her age.

Beginning of the day, group sing time

Very, very loud!

I was nervous the first day and stuck around the whole time. Michaela did really well though and seemed to enjoy it. All they do is play—inside then outside then inside again. The only structured activity I saw was singing time. Other kids cried, but not her. She mostly played by herself, but she had fun. Since then she looks forward to school and never complains or cries even though I don’t stay anymore. I’m still not really crazy about the idea, but it doesn’t seem to be as traumatic as I thought it would be. She seems to be a pretty independent girl.

Inside play

Outside play

Outside play area


No comments: